You probably don’t need many more reasons to have more sex other than the fact that it feels amazing, brings you closer to your partner and… did I mention it feels really good? Well, even if you didn’t need another reason to have more sex, now you have another really important reason. Having sex is actually good for your health. Maybe your partner needs a little convincing to get busy more often? This list is your key to talking her into it, just make sure she knows it’s as good as going to the gym and much more fun! Here are the 9 ways that sex improves your health:
1. It burns calories – Sure, it won’t burn as many calories as running a 5K, but 30 minutes of sex can burn between 85 and 200 calories. If you have sex every day, that can add up. It means on the days you have sex you can have that extra naughty treat for dessert and not feel guilty about it. Remember, it’s all about how active you are in bed. If you just lie back and let your partner do all the work, you’ll burn less calories.
2. Sex increases your testosterone levels – Does having sex make you feel extra manly? Well, that might be because it actually raises your testosterone levels. Testosterone helps to strengthen bones and muscles, so having a higher level can help you build up your strength even more. It also helps maintain high energy levels, a healthy libido, your fertility, and improve your mood.
3. Decreases your risk of cancer – Various studies have found that men who ejaculate on a regular basis are more than 30% less likely to develop prostate cancer. If this isn’t a great reason to have sex, I don’t know what is. Ejaculating can flush out the prostate, which could help to decrease the likelihood of developing this dangerous cancer.
4. Sex is good for your heart – Men are especially at risk for heart disease, so knowing that sex can help you have a healthier heart should be a good enough reason to have more sex starting right now. One study showed that men who have sex more than three times a week reduced their risk of heart attack and stroke by 50%. Having sex is also believed to lower blood pressure, which is another great benefit to your heart health.
5. It’s a stress reliever – Stress can have a hugely negative impact on your health, so doing anything that helps you to relieve stress should be a top priority. Luckily, having sex helps to relieve stress. Sex lowers your blood pressure and study participants were found to have smaller increases in blood pressure in stressful situations after having sex than those who had not had sex.
6. It boosts immunity – No one likes being sick, so it’s an extra bonus that sex also helps boost your immune system. Having sex regularly (once or twice per week) increases levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A, which is known to boost the immune system.
7. Sex is a great pain reliever – Instead of going to your medicine cabinet next time you have a bad headache or your partner is complaining of menstrual cramps, try climbing into bed together instead. Oxytocin, serotonin and other endorphins released during sex have the amazing effect of actually decreasing pain. It works especially well for arthritis pain, headaches and menstrual pain, but try it out with your particular type of pain and let us know if it works for you.
8. Sex helps you sleep better – Sleep is extremely important to your health. Getting a good night’s sleep is connected to lower stress levels, lower blood pressure, and maintaining a healthy weight. Sex helps you sleep better because both oxytocin and serotonin are released during sex and orgasm, which in combination promote deep sleep.
9. Having sex keeps your reproductive system functioning – Just like you need to take care of your whole body by exercising and eating healthy, you need to take care of your sexual health as well, and that means “working out” your penis by having sex. Having sex or masturbating can help keep erectile dysfunction or other sexual health problems at bay later in life.
Just like having sex is good for you health, being healthy in other areas of your life, like eating a healthy diet, exercising at least 3 times a week and always making sure you get a good night’s sleep, is essential for having good sex. Being more healthy overall will help you to have better sex, just like having sex will make you healthy. Doing just one or the other isn’t enough.